Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pretend it's still April....

Colby wrote this post back in April, but with life being crazy, we didn't get around to publishing it. So here it is. Tammy added the pictures. :) 

Well hello blog world.  This is Colby, and I approved this blog post.

It has been an adventurous, busy past few months.  We’ve both been doing school, and we both can see glorious light at the end of the education tunnel!  Tammy graduates in May, and I finish up my last couple MBA night classes in July.  I am so tired of giving up 3-4 nights a week for class and homework, and I am ready to simplify our lives a bit.

And, I must say, I’m very proud of Tammy for sticking through an intense, challenging “Urban Education” teaching program.  She’s been doing her student teaching at Osborne High School, which is a failing school by the federal No Child Left Behind standards.  The school has to deal with inner city problems like gang violence, teen pregnancy, and low income.  Twice during her student teaching semester there have been threats of gun violence in the area and they’ve had to go into “lockdown” where kids stay in their classrooms and wait for the warnings to lift.  So, I’ve been glad as she’s come home in one piece each day.

On her last day of her autonomous student teaching, I came into her morning class with a dozen roses and some M&Ms to give to the class.  I’d gotten in touch with the teacher of the class and coordinated it via text.  Tammy and I were at the gym the night before, and I’d spent like 10 minutes dinking on my phone.  Which, isn’t that abnormal, cause I dink a lot on my phone.  She looked over at me on the treadmill like “hey Billy, I don’t have all day.  I’m pregnant and tired.”  What she didn’t know was that I was texting her teacher.  We went to Publix that night too and I bought four big bags of M&Ms.  I thought it was funny that she didn’t even wonder why I was buying four bags of M&Ms…apparently I buy sugar in quantities like that often enough that it didn’t seem that out of the ordinary to her.  So the next morning, I headed over to her high school.  The lady at the front desk gave me one of those “ohhhhhhhhhhh, that’s sooooo sweeeeet” type looks, and Ms. Vinson, Tammy’s teacher, fetched me from the office and brought me up to their classroom.  I think Tammy really liked the surprise.  Brownie points earned by me: at least 5.



(I should mention…I was dinking with my phone that morning, and had temporarily broken it, so I had to borrow her bright pink phone for the day.  Slightly embarrassing to go to lunch with several other people and yank out my pink phone to make a call.  Oh well.)

Tammy’s belly has been expanding at an impressive rate.  She still looks small since it’s her first child, but it’s kind of fun to watch her belly button slowly stretch out.  She has a bigger pot belly than me for the first time in our marriage.  Now that school is finally starting to wind down, she’s started nesting.  All the baby clothes are set out in nice little piles.  We have like 25 pairs of baby socks which look like…really small socks, I guess.  When we flew back from Utah for Christmas, we volunteered to get bumped and got two flight vouchers for doing so.  I surprised Tam with a flight out to Utah to have a baby shower with her family, and while she was there this past weekend, she got lots of cute things that she was excited about.  Kudos to her mom and sister for all the work they put into it—Tammy loved the whole thing.  Plus I earned another 6 or 7 brownie points for that so I think it was a win for everyone.

This was one of Tammy's dad's contributions to the shower: writing the cheesecake toppings on mini chalk boards. He did a great job!




I think I’ve known this whole time that I’ll soon be a father.  When Tammy took out the baby toys though I think it hit me a bit more.  We’re going to have all of these loud, obnoxious toys in our house for like the next 20 years or whatever.  This is like the real deal, like there ain’t no going back!  It will be fun for Bumpy and I to irritate Tammy for the next 20 years with all of these trinkets.

Also, I hope we don’t have an ugly baby.  Tammy hates it when I bring this up, but you see some baby pics on Facebook, and you think to yourself, wow that’s an interesting-looking human.  We just saw pics of our friends’ baby.  Marc and Ashleigh, your baby looks really cute.  Hopefully our baby is a looker too.  I mean, if he’s ugly, we’ll get over it and love him I’m sure…Tammy will be much too emotionally invested in him after the birthing process to think he’s ugly anyway, but let’s hope he ain’t ugly.  Pray for us.

But honestly, look at him! He's destined to be adorable! 
And all you mommies…I’ve got respect for you.  Seeing all the junk you have to deal with makes me grateful to you.  And also grateful that I’m a man.

One more baby thing—it is amazing how much gear these little humans require.  Seriously, I don’t know how cavemen and cavemommys got by with only rocks, fire, and wooly mammoth meat.

I recently was released as Scoutmaster in our ward.  I have LOVED working with the young men…they are awesome.  I’m also looking forward to a shift in our schedules.  Things have been very busy for the past 2-3 years, and it will be nice to scale back a little bit and really focus on work and family.  Rampton Consulting is growing, slowly but surely, and now that school is soon done, I can really dig in and try to grow it more.  We have several potentially big developments for the company on the horizon and it will be interesting to see what happens.

Alright, it’s been nice chatting at you.  Have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment